This week has been interesting. Work has been a bit hectic and crazy as the students finish out finals week. I got very little sleep this weekend and Monday night I was in bed before 9pm, which is unheard of for me.
Previously I'd been invited to a Young Adult church group event my one of my co-workers. I don't go to her church but there aren't really any other YA groups in Dubuque, so I've done some stuff with them before. I forced myself to RSVP on facebook. Usually after work I tend to be pretty anti-social. After having to be around/deal with people all day I tend to want to just be alone. I come across as a very social person in real life. And for the most part that's true. But what most people don't see is a private introverted person hiding behind that "game face." So this week was an exercise in being social. I stuck it out and went last night. It was fun just to chill and watch a movie and hang out with people. I knew 2 of the people there which helped. They've got their summer calendar set already. I'm going to try and use these to get out of my house a little and meet some people. That's the one thing I'm really struggling w/ here. Making friends outside of work. Up until now, most of the friends I've made were fellow students. Now out in the real world I'm not really sure how to forge that connection. I'm going to take it one step at a time.
The next step (sort of) is the university sponsored stuff. There's a dinner tomorrow night, and a friend from the grad program at school is doing dinner with me after baccalaureate Friday. We'll see how that goes. Oooh, and drinks with my co-authors later in the month. We got the "final" draft back from the editors. It'll be the last time we have to deal with it until comments from the publishers when they send it out for external review. Still on schedule for a fall printing! Exciting!
On that note, I've got to get some stuff ready for tomorrow. Night!
-B
Previously I'd been invited to a Young Adult church group event my one of my co-workers. I don't go to her church but there aren't really any other YA groups in Dubuque, so I've done some stuff with them before. I forced myself to RSVP on facebook. Usually after work I tend to be pretty anti-social. After having to be around/deal with people all day I tend to want to just be alone. I come across as a very social person in real life. And for the most part that's true. But what most people don't see is a private introverted person hiding behind that "game face." So this week was an exercise in being social. I stuck it out and went last night. It was fun just to chill and watch a movie and hang out with people. I knew 2 of the people there which helped. They've got their summer calendar set already. I'm going to try and use these to get out of my house a little and meet some people. That's the one thing I'm really struggling w/ here. Making friends outside of work. Up until now, most of the friends I've made were fellow students. Now out in the real world I'm not really sure how to forge that connection. I'm going to take it one step at a time.
The next step (sort of) is the university sponsored stuff. There's a dinner tomorrow night, and a friend from the grad program at school is doing dinner with me after baccalaureate Friday. We'll see how that goes. Oooh, and drinks with my co-authors later in the month. We got the "final" draft back from the editors. It'll be the last time we have to deal with it until comments from the publishers when they send it out for external review. Still on schedule for a fall printing! Exciting!
On that note, I've got to get some stuff ready for tomorrow. Night!
-B
I'm the same way. My ex-boss told me once to do something since I was not shy and I said that I was the shyest person I knew. It's funny how we feel about ourselves and how people actually view us.
ReplyDelete