Skip to main content

The only good thing about winter: coats and accessories

Yes, it's that time again ladies and gentlemen. The winter season is finally upon us. Despite living my entire life in the midwest, every year I cling to the hope that maybe winter will just throw in the towel and take the year off. I know it's not realistic, but it's what gets me through the late fall. I promise I'll have plenty of time this winter to complain about the myriad of things I detest about the season, but today I'm going to do my best to stick to one of the few I actually enjoy about the season.

I am a coldblooded mammal. Now you may be thinking, Becky, that is simply not possible. And technically you may be right, but I am as close to one as you'll find I promise. For example while I am writing this, I am in bed with the following for warmth: t-shirt, heavy cardigan sweater, fleece pajama pants (pink penguin ones of course), socks, wrist warmers, flannel sheets, a fleece blanket, a comforter, a throw, and a heavy crocheted blanket. And I'm contemplating making hot tea. Crazy no?

Because I'm always cold, I logically decided to work in a library where my office is a first floor ice box. Oh, and the reference desk is made of faux stone that sucks you of warmth faster than a vampire. So to compensate I dress warmly. I won't get into my love of sweaters and tights and leggings under dress pants tonight. No, this post is about my coats and winter accessories.

Someone talked about pulling out their winter coat this week, and I noticed the distinct lack of an 's' at the end of that word. People have more than one winter coat right? I mean, real people who live in the midwest. (Not you crazy Southerners and your "winters.") I got to counting coats in my head. I have 5 coats most people would characterize as winter coats. I am not sure when I because such a coat person, but they sort of exist in 3 levels in my head.

Level 1: Short hip-lenth pea coats (no hoods). One red, one fushia.
Level 2: Long mid-thigh pea coat, hood. Brown with light pink trim.
Level 3: Heavy duty snow- and wind-resistant coats. One Wisconsin Columbia jacket that extends past the waist with hood. And one non-hooded green hip-length Pioneer coat that was once my grandfather's.

I feel like I should explain that 2 of these coats were gifts, 2 were rummage sale buys, and one "hand me down" from my grandpa. Currently I am at level 1 coats. Still cute, non-eskimo looking outerwear.

In addition to my coat collection, I own a plethora of scarves, hats, and gloves (both regular and fingerless.) And when I say plethora, I mean I think I counted 16 different crocheted scarves last year. I refuse to count again for fear it's gotten worse. (I mean I know I've bought 3 scarves in the last 2 months...so...) Scarves are not just for outdoors. I wear them indoors too. A lot. My new fave work outfit is to dress is neutral blacks or browns and dress up the outfit with pops of color with a bright scarf or elbow length wrist warmers. Or both. Sometimes I do the reverse and calm down a bright sweater with my new gray knit infinity scarf. I say this like I haven't been wearing scarves on a regular basis since September. Same goes for the fingerless gloves/wrist warmers. I pulled those out as soon as I thought I could handle the number of weird looks I would get. I think I held off on those til October at least. Maybe.

This coat in fushia with this scarf (so warm and reversible, it's difficult to get me out of it) and this hat (minus the crazy mohawk part) is my current look. I'm thinking my bright orange scarf with my red Gap peacoat will be next as long as it doesn't get too cold too quick. Winter accessorizing is what keeps me sane as I deal with the cold, snow, ice, and general ickiness of an Iowa winter. What gets you through?

--------------------------
Post word total: 700
Overall word total: 2,898
Words left to write: 22,102

Comments

  1. What gets me through? 1. Hot tea (preferably Earl Grey with milk)but any black or green or ginger tea will do. How did Earl Grey get its name, anyway? The only Grey nobility I know of was Lady Jane Grey's father, and he was three times over not a nice guy. I'd hate to think my favorite tea was named after such a dishonest, conniving manipulator. 2. My microwave heating pads. My kids found one for me in Madison for Christmas about fifteen years ago, I made two (you fill them with flax seeds and herbs) and I've gotten others as gifts since. My old microwave could accommodate 5, which I often use at once, but its replacement can accommodate only two. :-( 3. I heat up the kitchen with the oven, which I then use to bake potatoes, squash, toast English muffins or cinnamon toast, or roast carrots: 1 lb. baby carrots, sprinkle with olive oil,(abt. 2 TBS) salt, pepper, paprika. Roast at 400 for 30-40 min., stirring occasionally, or until tender. If desired add a chopped onion and a little more oil about 15 to 20 minutes later. You can add other root vegetables too, like parsnips and sweet potatoes: experiment with times. 4. Throw out any ice cream in the freezer. I'll get fresh next summer. In the meantime, I often have hot chocolate for dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April weekends

I just solidified plans for this weekend today when it hit me: my April weekends are all over the place, and well so very me. Keeping with my new reality of being around Dubuque much more often than I have in the past, I'll be here for 3 of the 4 weekends. Ok, and by here I mean mostly here. I'll explain below. April 6-7 Julien Dubuque International Film Festival --I went to the festival last year with Gretchen. We had so much fun! We ended up seeing a different set of films than we originally thought, but it was still a blast. I was lucky enough to attend the Beloit International Film Festival with Kyle and his family last month, and this year he's coming down to spend the weekend watching films with me. Plus Nicole will be around for the weekend so she's coming along too! April 13-14 Twins game with Amy--We've got tickets to the Twins-Mets game on Sunday so I'll be driving back up to The Cities (I was just there over St. Patrick's Day weekend). I have...

--Weekly Wrap Up--

Media/fashion round up of my week TV: One issue with being a fan of a British TV show? Having to avoid spoilers until you can find a copy of it online to watch. Thankfully a twitter acquaintance posted a link to Matt Smith's debut episode of Doctor Who. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy the show without the darling David Tennant, but it was ok. I still enjoyed it. He's no David Tennant, but I'll definitely still watch. I love the cheeky humor. I also watched the first 8 episodes of season 2 of Veronica Mars while cleaning. Is there a better way to clean? Books: I finally got around to reading "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. It's amazing. I got quite sucked in to the book. It had me sobbing by the end. I really appreciate books that can tell a story so well that I'm emotionally tied to the characters. If you haven't read it or are not a YA reader, you should pick it up. It's about a 17-year old girl who has a major decision to make about life. I...

Booklist

I found this in my RSS feed this morning and thought it was a nice way to start the day. It is a list created by the National Endowment for the Arts, and a blogger writes that they claim most American adults have read only six of these hundred books. I've read 23, but about half have been for school; however, some of those I chose to read for a class assignment. :) Here’s what you do: 1) Look at the list and bold those you have read. 2) Italicize those you intend to read. 3) Underline the books you LOVE. (Or in my case turn them green.) 4) Reprint this list on your own blog. 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6 The Bible (um, how many people have actually sat down to read the Bible? Like, straight through? I'm counting it because I read at least a chapter every night.) 7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (I own it, but haven't read ...