If only I'd known that I would create a monster. A. now insists that she's winning at the blogging game. Although totally true, I have a good reason for currently losing. I'm been trying (read, not succeeding) at using blogging as my reward for being productive. Yeah, sadly I'm like a 5-year old child when I'm tired; I really only function well in a reward-rich environment. However, I've been failing with this lately. I managed not to blog, but I just couldn't keep myself on track. I was up late finishing a really frustrating project, but I had no one but myself to blame. That doesn't mean I didn't try and blame other people, like my professor. :)
Ugh, anyway, on to less frustrating topics. I realized today what a weird situation I was in. I'm a regular viewer of a few vlogs on youtube. Nothing odd there, but today was one of the kids' birthday. So I wished him happy birthday in the comments. Now I wish people I'm not really great friends with all the time on Facebook. You know, it's the nice/right thing to do, and I remember how much I enjoyed seeing random posts from people I haven't talked to in years. But today was totally different. I've meet everyone I'm Facebook friends with face-to-face. The likelihood of me ever meeting this kid whose videos I watch constantly? Slim to none. 'Online' friendships are a totally new ballgame for me. Granted, this relationship is totally one-sided as I'm just an anonymous post, one of many. But it got me thinking about relationships that are totally new and different, like youtube. Especially for those of us who don't exactly post videos.
Next agenda item: character blogs. I totally need to do some more research on this. I recently read the entire "Maximum Ride" series (4 books so far). I love James Patterson and I love YA lit, so the two of them in one book series has been a major component of the not being productive deal mentioned above. But now I've caught up to the uber-author Patterson. However, he's given me something to chew on while I wait for the next installment. A character blog. Now I know that some of my fave tv shows have character blogs. None of which I read, but as an almost librarian I feel it's my duty to investigate. (Yes, now would be the time to bring up that I'm going into academic librarianship. To which I say...whatever!) At first glance the posts look like the standard...our book is coming out..here is a link to the new website...here's an author interview. And then you start to look further and find links to semi-unrelated news articles, and links to bands on myspace the character is currently listening to, or today, a post linking to an acoustic version of a new Death Cab for Cutie single (really good btw). I'm still not sure what I think about getting music suggestions from a fictional character. More on this later I'm sure. But now I'm out to eat an early bird dinner w/ the girls before evening class.
Ugh, anyway, on to less frustrating topics. I realized today what a weird situation I was in. I'm a regular viewer of a few vlogs on youtube. Nothing odd there, but today was one of the kids' birthday. So I wished him happy birthday in the comments. Now I wish people I'm not really great friends with all the time on Facebook. You know, it's the nice/right thing to do, and I remember how much I enjoyed seeing random posts from people I haven't talked to in years. But today was totally different. I've meet everyone I'm Facebook friends with face-to-face. The likelihood of me ever meeting this kid whose videos I watch constantly? Slim to none. 'Online' friendships are a totally new ballgame for me. Granted, this relationship is totally one-sided as I'm just an anonymous post, one of many. But it got me thinking about relationships that are totally new and different, like youtube. Especially for those of us who don't exactly post videos.
Next agenda item: character blogs. I totally need to do some more research on this. I recently read the entire "Maximum Ride" series (4 books so far). I love James Patterson and I love YA lit, so the two of them in one book series has been a major component of the not being productive deal mentioned above. But now I've caught up to the uber-author Patterson. However, he's given me something to chew on while I wait for the next installment. A character blog. Now I know that some of my fave tv shows have character blogs. None of which I read, but as an almost librarian I feel it's my duty to investigate. (Yes, now would be the time to bring up that I'm going into academic librarianship. To which I say...whatever!) At first glance the posts look like the standard...our book is coming out..here is a link to the new website...here's an author interview. And then you start to look further and find links to semi-unrelated news articles, and links to bands on myspace the character is currently listening to, or today, a post linking to an acoustic version of a new Death Cab for Cutie single (really good btw). I'm still not sure what I think about getting music suggestions from a fictional character. More on this later I'm sure. But now I'm out to eat an early bird dinner w/ the girls before evening class.
nice post. i like that we talked about all these things in person too. :)
ReplyDelete