It is currently 90 degrees at 8pm. That is a bit ridiculous. But no fear, I'm here with some warm weather coping tips. Now you may be asking what makes me qualified to be dispensing such advice. You are right to question. My main qualifications come from living in a second floor apartment without central air in Iowa for the last 3 summers. I have a window air conditioner located in the kitchen, however, due to the layout of the apartment, that's not super conducive for cooling anything but the kitchen (and the the living room if I set up the fans right). Now that I've convinced you I'm qualified, here are my coping tips.
- Eat lots of popsicles. They keep you hydrated and cool you down. I'm a fan of the sugar free ones.
- Don't cook unless you have to. Today I had an apple and cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a bowl of cereal for dinner. Decently well-balanced and no turning on the oven!
- Drink lots of water. Hydration is key.
- Close the curtains and don't turn on the lights unless you need them. You'd be surprised how much heat those old lights kick out.
- Cool/cold showers. I like to take cool showers before bed. I start with a warmish shower and then gradually turn it cooler as I go.
- Close doors off to rooms in the house you aren't using for the evening. Cooling the whole apartment with the one kitchen unit is crazy, but closing off the bathroom and large bedroom helps. Why cool a room I won't be needing?
- Open windows at night. It cools down at night, even if it's just a little bit. Those few degrees can totally make a difference for me.
- Use fans strategically. I have mine set up to channel the air conditioned kitchen air down the hallway to the guest bedroom. This involves extension cords, but is totally worth it.
- Wear light layers. Part of my issue is the fact that it's really cool at work and really warm at home, but sometimes I walk. That makes it difficult to dress. Usually I end up with something sleeveless and a skirt, and pack layers in a bag for later.
- Hang out in places that are air conditioned. Your public library and coffeeshops are two of my favorites. Well, and there's always work for me. I pulled an 8:30 to 6 shift today instead of 7:30-5. The mornings are cooler in my apartment.
- And when in doubt eat more popsicles.
Comments
Post a Comment