Today was one of the first warmish days we've had this spring. I have been itching to wear dresses for so long. It was finally warm enough to do that yesterday. I wore one of my favorite black and white dresses. (Don't even ask how many black and white dresses I own...) But today I pulled out a new dress, a pink and brown flowered one, with pockets!!! I got quite a few compliments today, because the dress was new. And the best part? It was cheap.
One of my favorite fashion secrets is to buy clothes out of season. I bought the dress super cheap last fall. It's a summer weight dress so by the fall it was marked down quite steeply. I bought it and then threw it in my closet to wait for spring so I could pair it with leggings and a cute cardigan for a "new" 6-month old dress day. Same thing goes with consignment stores. We've got a few in Dubuque and I know for a fact that the one downtown deeply discounts their clothes just as they are trying to put out clothes for the next season. You can't always wear the clothes right away, but it's so much fun to pull "new" clothes out months later. Or one of my other secrets is to layer up summer clothes so I can pull them off 3 of the 4 seasons!
If you play your cards right, you can use the out-of-season thing to your advantage. For those of us in cold climates, sweaters are a necessity. I'm a big believer in garage sales. You've got to look for quality ones, and check for clothes that are still in good shape, but it's usually worth it. The thing to look for at sales are more out of season clothes. When it's hot and sticky? Look for sweaters. People tend to underprice warm clothes when it's warm outside. They really just want to get rid of it and usually think that people won't want to be thinking about buying warm clothes when it's so nice outside. And maybe they're right...for the rest of the world. But I LOVE to buy them then. Buy them cheap, pack them away, and then have all sorts of new clothes to discover when the cold weather starts to show up.
I can't wait to dig back through my closet to see what else I stashed away last fall. And to hit the citywide rummage sales in a few weeks to start stocking my drawers for next winter!
One of my favorite fashion secrets is to buy clothes out of season. I bought the dress super cheap last fall. It's a summer weight dress so by the fall it was marked down quite steeply. I bought it and then threw it in my closet to wait for spring so I could pair it with leggings and a cute cardigan for a "new" 6-month old dress day. Same thing goes with consignment stores. We've got a few in Dubuque and I know for a fact that the one downtown deeply discounts their clothes just as they are trying to put out clothes for the next season. You can't always wear the clothes right away, but it's so much fun to pull "new" clothes out months later. Or one of my other secrets is to layer up summer clothes so I can pull them off 3 of the 4 seasons!
If you play your cards right, you can use the out-of-season thing to your advantage. For those of us in cold climates, sweaters are a necessity. I'm a big believer in garage sales. You've got to look for quality ones, and check for clothes that are still in good shape, but it's usually worth it. The thing to look for at sales are more out of season clothes. When it's hot and sticky? Look for sweaters. People tend to underprice warm clothes when it's warm outside. They really just want to get rid of it and usually think that people won't want to be thinking about buying warm clothes when it's so nice outside. And maybe they're right...for the rest of the world. But I LOVE to buy them then. Buy them cheap, pack them away, and then have all sorts of new clothes to discover when the cold weather starts to show up.
I can't wait to dig back through my closet to see what else I stashed away last fall. And to hit the citywide rummage sales in a few weeks to start stocking my drawers for next winter!
Comments
Post a Comment