I'm not sure if you're familiar with Cory Doctorow. If you aren't, you should be. He's one of my new favorite people. I know that I have waxed nostalgic about Little Brother before. As much as I talk about lots of other YA books, I think Little Brother lives in my top 5. Cory is also a major contributor on one my fave blogs Boing Boing. He's a champion of Creative Commons licenses and fair copyright policies. He's political and intelligent, and spins a hell of a story.
And the best part? Even after all that he gives back. He releases a free electronic edition of his book at the same time the print copy comes out. He's had people want to donate money to him for offering it free. So instead of taking that money, he's set up at system for those people to buy and donate copies of the book to libraries and schools that could use a free copy. How freaking cool is that? You find out more about the system here. I think I'll be donating 2 copies. One to a library/school from the list and one to my own library. Money is tight in the middle school/YA collection so my favorite thing to do is buy a book, read it, and then donate it to the collection. Maybe you can find $12.23 (on Amazon)to purchase this book for a library that needs it while you curl up with a free digital copy. :)
And the best part? Even after all that he gives back. He releases a free electronic edition of his book at the same time the print copy comes out. He's had people want to donate money to him for offering it free. So instead of taking that money, he's set up at system for those people to buy and donate copies of the book to libraries and schools that could use a free copy. How freaking cool is that? You find out more about the system here. I think I'll be donating 2 copies. One to a library/school from the list and one to my own library. Money is tight in the middle school/YA collection so my favorite thing to do is buy a book, read it, and then donate it to the collection. Maybe you can find $12.23 (on Amazon)to purchase this book for a library that needs it while you curl up with a free digital copy. :)
That does sound great. But I just can't get past his name. He should have been a doctor, not a writer. I don't know how you pronounce his name, but how funny would it be to have a doctor named Dr. Doctor Ow...
ReplyDeleteHis newest book is on hold for me at the public library as I type this. He's the coolest and his presentations about copyright are always amazing.
ReplyDeleteI've seen some of his adult books at the library, well one, I did't know he wrote YA too. Is he related to E.L. Doctorow? And that is a really great thing with the libraries.
ReplyDeleteI love Cory Doctorow! He has been even writing regularly for Publisher's Weekly. I think Little Brother and Makers are great books that really make a person think of the possibilities to come. We read Little Brother for book club. While many people were hung up in too much tech talk, the overall discussion was great!
ReplyDelete