It's been a crazy week. There were moments today when I thought, "wait, what is today?" This week was finals week at the college which means I've seen stressed out students and crazy busy faculty. Actually I've been one of those crazy busy faculty. But I did find the time this week to be a part of 3 graduation gifts. That's what I'm gonna blog about tonight.
The first gift was for a seminary student. He was the student assistant for one of the seminary faculty members and thus spent a lot of time in the library doing research for said professor and getting together a huge number of course reserves. While I am by no means an expert in seminary research, I got lucky and the topic was actually historical so I was of service. He also stopped by a lot on Monday and Tuesday mornings when I'm on desk. He's been a saint to the library helping us out with all the reserves stuff. I mean, the kid is being replaced by 2 people!! He spent so much time in the library that he had "his table" that also involved a specific book that he put in the shade to keep it at the right height. So for his gift, my supervisor decided to make him a certificate of sainthood. We also grabbed that specific red cloth book, withdrew it from the collection (it was a 1964 book on space) and signed it like a card for him. I saw him after he got it today. He thought it was awesome!!
The other 2 gifts, I've been working on for a week or so. They were for two of my undergrads. These 2 have really helped UD and Dubuque feel like home. They've answered all my silly, stupid, and repetitive questions about campus and library. We've had a lot of fun discussing books and movies and YouTube videos over the last 4 semesters. I decided that I would personalize journals for each of them. I used colored duct tape to decorate the outside. And then on the inside I wrote out quotes from some of our favorite books. Jeraca got Cassandra Clare, John Green, The Hunger Games, and Hush Hush. Kevin got John Green, Hank Green songs, and vlogbrothers videos. I snagged a few pics before I gave them to their recipients ;)



The first gift was for a seminary student. He was the student assistant for one of the seminary faculty members and thus spent a lot of time in the library doing research for said professor and getting together a huge number of course reserves. While I am by no means an expert in seminary research, I got lucky and the topic was actually historical so I was of service. He also stopped by a lot on Monday and Tuesday mornings when I'm on desk. He's been a saint to the library helping us out with all the reserves stuff. I mean, the kid is being replaced by 2 people!! He spent so much time in the library that he had "his table" that also involved a specific book that he put in the shade to keep it at the right height. So for his gift, my supervisor decided to make him a certificate of sainthood. We also grabbed that specific red cloth book, withdrew it from the collection (it was a 1964 book on space) and signed it like a card for him. I saw him after he got it today. He thought it was awesome!!
The other 2 gifts, I've been working on for a week or so. They were for two of my undergrads. These 2 have really helped UD and Dubuque feel like home. They've answered all my silly, stupid, and repetitive questions about campus and library. We've had a lot of fun discussing books and movies and YouTube videos over the last 4 semesters. I decided that I would personalize journals for each of them. I used colored duct tape to decorate the outside. And then on the inside I wrote out quotes from some of our favorite books. Jeraca got Cassandra Clare, John Green, The Hunger Games, and Hush Hush. Kevin got John Green, Hank Green songs, and vlogbrothers videos. I snagged a few pics before I gave them to their recipients ;)
Wow Becky, those are some really great ideas for gifts. And I LOVE that second journal, with the yellow and blue. I want it!
ReplyDeleteI can make that happen ;) I've still got left over duct tape! When's that birthday of yours again?
ReplyDelete