It's official. I'm the Reference and Instruction Librarian. :) So far it's been all orientation, but I really like it. The staff has all been really wonderful. NOt that I thought they were faking their enthusiasm during the interview, but they all actually seem like they like each other. The work environment is really cool, and totally my style. I'm a little overwhelmed with names, but that's mostly the student workers and the random faculty walking through. I'm pretty good with the permanent library staff members. Granted with only like 11 of them, it's a little easier here than other places.
Speaking of being easier here than other places. Never before have I been more grateful to live on a hill/bluff. It seems like at this time, I'm in one of the only major cities in IA not to be dealing with major, major flooding issues. I know the Mississippi is high too, but it has yet to cause the major problems for the DBQ area that they're experiencing in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and Cedar Falls/Waterloo. I just read tonight that they're evacuating the U of I Main Library. I can only imagine what that must mean. Also parts of both Hwy 1 and Hwy 30 are closed due to flooding so if I were in Mt. Vernon, I'd be stuck headed north or east. As it is, they've closed part of I-80 and the detour is all the way north to Hwy 20 in DBQ. Now for those of who don't know eastern Iowa geography (that's a few of you....it's ok!) that is not a short detour. We're talking hours out of your way. And now they're asking DBQers (yes, that's what people who live here are called) to avoid using Hwy 20 while the detour is in effect. Thankfully the other day I decided to learn how to get to the west side of town without using the major highways and byways in town so I can get to my relatives tomorrow, but Target, Walmart, the mall, and other semi-essentials are on Hwy 20. Arg. It would be like avoiding the Beltline in Madison. It's doable, but certainly not enjoyable.
Anyway, I'm still suffering a bit from lack of sleep (due to my 7:30-8am start time) and a lack of caffeine-induced headache, so I'm off to bed soon. :) Hopefully your week has gone as well as mine, and that you're safe from the floods and storms.
Speaking of being easier here than other places. Never before have I been more grateful to live on a hill/bluff. It seems like at this time, I'm in one of the only major cities in IA not to be dealing with major, major flooding issues. I know the Mississippi is high too, but it has yet to cause the major problems for the DBQ area that they're experiencing in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and Cedar Falls/Waterloo. I just read tonight that they're evacuating the U of I Main Library. I can only imagine what that must mean. Also parts of both Hwy 1 and Hwy 30 are closed due to flooding so if I were in Mt. Vernon, I'd be stuck headed north or east. As it is, they've closed part of I-80 and the detour is all the way north to Hwy 20 in DBQ. Now for those of who don't know eastern Iowa geography (that's a few of you....it's ok!) that is not a short detour. We're talking hours out of your way. And now they're asking DBQers (yes, that's what people who live here are called) to avoid using Hwy 20 while the detour is in effect. Thankfully the other day I decided to learn how to get to the west side of town without using the major highways and byways in town so I can get to my relatives tomorrow, but Target, Walmart, the mall, and other semi-essentials are on Hwy 20. Arg. It would be like avoiding the Beltline in Madison. It's doable, but certainly not enjoyable.
Anyway, I'm still suffering a bit from lack of sleep (due to my 7:30-8am start time) and a lack of caffeine-induced headache, so I'm off to bed soon. :) Hopefully your week has gone as well as mine, and that you're safe from the floods and storms.
Comments
Post a Comment