On my way back from visiting Amy in Ames today, I realized, I've never driven for more than 5 hours by myself on a roadtrip before. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm leaving for Missouri on Friday. And when I say Missouri, I mean 7 hours south of Dubuque to the boot of Missouri.
Anyone who follows me on twitter (beckiejean) knows that I got bored about half way through a 3-hour drive. What are some of your strategies for long car rides? I'll be sure to stock up on caffeine and find some place to refuel/bathroom break. I'm thinking that an audiobook might be a good idea. I haven't listened to one since last summer. Anything you've read lately? I looked for Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates" but my public library doesn't have that on audio yet. I might start with her "Assassination Vacation" first. I listened to that one summer in grad school and loved it. Let me know what you think. I'll probably try and hit the public library tomorrow night and I need all the suggestions I can get!
Anyone who follows me on twitter (beckiejean) knows that I got bored about half way through a 3-hour drive. What are some of your strategies for long car rides? I'll be sure to stock up on caffeine and find some place to refuel/bathroom break. I'm thinking that an audiobook might be a good idea. I haven't listened to one since last summer. Anything you've read lately? I looked for Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates" but my public library doesn't have that on audio yet. I might start with her "Assassination Vacation" first. I listened to that one summer in grad school and loved it. Let me know what you think. I'll probably try and hit the public library tomorrow night and I need all the suggestions I can get!
My friend swears by any audiobook narrated by Kirsten Potter. We both loved the book "If I Stay," and Potter narrates it. She said it was unbelievably good, though it will make you weep.....maybe not a car ride book, but the narrator is. Ha. I'm so helpful.
ReplyDeleteYou could listen to Jess (from GG) read you the Dangerous Days of Daniel X.
ReplyDeleteI hear Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy is supposed to have a great audio, but I haven't listened to it.
Well in college I made multiple 12-hour car trips alone going between home and school.
ReplyDeleteI bring along my vast musical collection and sing loudly all day. I am usually hoarse by the end of the trip.
For audiobooks in car rides, I go with a book I've read before and know I like. That way I can enjoy it but not have to focus so hard on picking up a new plot. I did A Great and Terrible Beauty one time, and once with my dad one of the Harry Potter books.
As a seasoned drive-to-Missouri-listening-to-audiobooks traveler, let me weigh in :) I'm listening to The Wordy Shipmates right now and it's not as good as The Partly Cloudy Patriot or Assassination Vacation. Not as funny. I really like Meg Cabot books on audio, they're usual fun and easy to follow while driving. I've listened to HP and The Giver and liked those and I would also recommend Broadway Nights by Seth Rudetsky if you can find it.
ReplyDeleteI don't know that I have specific recommendations about books, but audiobooks are most definitely the way to go. I listened to tons of them when I was driving back & forth by myself between Iowa & Missouri and Iowa & Minnesota. I tended to go for "fluff." Things like Dean Koontz, Jodi Picoult, and Chick Lit. I tried to listen to nonfiction once and it made me sleepy. Have a great trip!
ReplyDeleteI usually either listen to music or an audiobook. Audiobooks are good for the last 3/4 of the trip.
ReplyDeleteRight now I'm listening to Sabriel by Garth Nix and that is really good. I also like the Harry Potters and Charlie Bones. Oh and the Bartimaeus trilogy (Stroud) is excellent, one of my favorites.
I am America and So Can You! audiobook. It's good. If you prefer a story to candor, (at risk of sounding trite) the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons are pretty good audiobooks. If you like the books, I suppose. Otherwise I like to listen to the Cat Who books (Lillian Jackson Braun)
ReplyDelete