So I was having a hard time falling asleep last night. I decided at some point that maybe willing myself to sleep wasn't the most effective way to go about accomplishing this task. So I thought I'd distract myself with my creative writing. I was trying to figure out where to take either one of the two short stories I started this summer, but I couldn't figure it out. And I haven't been able to for a while. Instead last night I kept coming back to a story I wrote for a friend two years ago.
I wrote Red-Sequined Dress as a gift for Emily, the Christmas/Hanukkah after I moved to Dubuque. (And yes, I laid out, printed, and "bound" it with red sequins myself!) The more I thought about the story, the more I realized it isn't done (plus there are lots of errors). I like the characters, ideas, and storyline. But it all needs more depth. And Kelly is right. I need goals and a direction.
So here it is. I vow (promise? set as my goal?) to adapt this short 4,000 word vignette (short story? novella?) into a 50,000 word (if it's good enough for nanowrimo, it's good enough for me) "novel" by then end of June (with the goal of it being done before June 1). I talked to Em about it this morning. She's excited and behind the project. She suggested (probably jokingly) she make a new series of videos of her reading the story with her newly acquired Mac. (PS She didn't know I was going to put that here, so if she comments on it that's why.)
I'll keep you up-to-date with word count and maybe excerpts on this blog. Just so you know, I'm starting over when it comes to text. So I'm back at zero.
Thanks in advance for all the encouragement and support on this project. And I'm sure I'll occasionally need gentle prodding or a kick in the ass. Thanks for those too. You've just unwittingly become my accountability buddies. :)
I wrote Red-Sequined Dress as a gift for Emily, the Christmas/Hanukkah after I moved to Dubuque. (And yes, I laid out, printed, and "bound" it with red sequins myself!) The more I thought about the story, the more I realized it isn't done (plus there are lots of errors). I like the characters, ideas, and storyline. But it all needs more depth. And Kelly is right. I need goals and a direction.
So here it is. I vow (promise? set as my goal?) to adapt this short 4,000 word vignette (short story? novella?) into a 50,000 word (if it's good enough for nanowrimo, it's good enough for me) "novel" by then end of June (with the goal of it being done before June 1). I talked to Em about it this morning. She's excited and behind the project. She suggested (probably jokingly) she make a new series of videos of her reading the story with her newly acquired Mac. (PS She didn't know I was going to put that here, so if she comments on it that's why.)
I'll keep you up-to-date with word count and maybe excerpts on this blog. Just so you know, I'm starting over when it comes to text. So I'm back at zero.
Thanks in advance for all the encouragement and support on this project. And I'm sure I'll occasionally need gentle prodding or a kick in the ass. Thanks for those too. You've just unwittingly become my accountability buddies. :)
Good luck! I'm sure you will get it done. I wish I had the willpower to write some of my ideas into anything especially a book.
ReplyDeleteI was only sort of joking. I liked making the videos reading the story the first time and think I could do a much better job now that I have mad video editing skillz.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE crazy, but in the best way possible. :)
ReplyDeletejust wait till you actually hit 50k. it doesnt end there ;)
ReplyDeleteShh. Don't remind me of that now silly.
ReplyDeleteSo first, how cute!
ReplyDeleteSecond, what a great goal. I am here to support you, good luck!
And Christina is correct, you are crazy.