If you're looking for a good different kind of WWII film, Sophie Scholl would be a good choice. The story follows the 21-year old university student who was a part of White Rose, the student resistance movement. She and her brother Hanz are working to spread their message through flyers when they're caught by the authorities. The rest of the movie depicts her interrogation and the consequences of her decisions and actions. It's a very powerful movie. Subtitled in English, the film was nominated for the best foreign film Oscar in 2006.
I was struck by the imagery used in the film. The language actually seemed less like a barrier than an insight. The anger, confusion, hatred, and pride were quite easily conveyed even without the subtitles. The courage it must have taken to resist Hitler at that moment in time is really awe inspiring. I can't really talk to much more about the movie without giving away the plot. Just know that it was moving and powerful and worth your time to check it out.
I was struck by the imagery used in the film. The language actually seemed less like a barrier than an insight. The anger, confusion, hatred, and pride were quite easily conveyed even without the subtitles. The courage it must have taken to resist Hitler at that moment in time is really awe inspiring. I can't really talk to much more about the movie without giving away the plot. Just know that it was moving and powerful and worth your time to check it out.
I added it to my Netflix queue! Thanks.
ReplyDelete