When you read a book, do you imagine what characters look like? I'm sure we all do. I've noticed recently that I tend to imagine characters as other fictional characters or people from YouTube. For example, I'm reading a book about teenagers in high society in Long Island, one of whom is kind of the golden boy of the community. In my head he looks exactly like Logan Huntzberger from Gilmore Girls. Or in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments Trilogy (soon to be 4!! Squee!), a few of the characters take on other visages.
And sometimes the images in my head are so freaking inaccurate. Paper Towns characters are a great example of that. I know that Ben is an olive-skinned kid with dark hair, but for some reason or another he's a 18-year old version of Ben Foster. (The kid who was Angel in X-Men 3 and Tucker James in Disney's Flash Forward) This is especially true in the beer can sword scene. And Radar isn't much better. He is supposed to look like a black version of Radar from M.A.S.H. Instead, he looks like Arjay Smith the kid who played the alien in the Nickelodeon show The Journey of Allen Strange and Jake Gyllenhaal's friend in The Day After Tomorrow.
What about you? Who do you imagine characters to look like?
- Luke/Lucian- always and will always be Luke from Gilmore Girls in my head
- Jocelyn- I imagine her to look like River Song from Doctor Who (except with red hair)
- Magnus- He's totally Dr. Noise. (P.S. I really like that song!)
And sometimes the images in my head are so freaking inaccurate. Paper Towns characters are a great example of that. I know that Ben is an olive-skinned kid with dark hair, but for some reason or another he's a 18-year old version of Ben Foster. (The kid who was Angel in X-Men 3 and Tucker James in Disney's Flash Forward) This is especially true in the beer can sword scene. And Radar isn't much better. He is supposed to look like a black version of Radar from M.A.S.H. Instead, he looks like Arjay Smith the kid who played the alien in the Nickelodeon show The Journey of Allen Strange and Jake Gyllenhaal's friend in The Day After Tomorrow.
What about you? Who do you imagine characters to look like?
Love the blog Becky!
ReplyDeleteI don't actually picture them in my head that often. That's not how my mind works I've discovered.
ReplyDeleteBut I latch onto names. I once read a book where the lead character was tall DARK and handsome, named Ryan. At the time, the name Ryan triggered images of the short blond character in Saved by the Bell the New Class. So throughout the book that's who I pictured.