What was the biggest lesson you learned in a leadership position? I taught a workshop for the Emerging Leaders program today. Prepping it a few weeks ago got me thinking about all the leadership positions I've been in since high school. And all the crazy things I've learned during those experiences.
Did you know that the key to an office with a couch is a great incentive for staff writers? Or that if you don't watch it, you can get elected to a position you didn't know you were nominated for? Or that it's really important to read your position description, especially when it includes being the official interpreter of the constitution? Or sometimes your most important role as leader is to keep your co-leader quiet during meetings? And sometimes it's to speak up for an organization you don't necessarily agree with? Sometimes the best way to co-manage a group involves seeing that co-manager more than your roommate. Sometimes it can be without seeing either one of your co-managers all week!
I'm not entirely sure how to convey this to students in a useful way. So instead I gave them scenarios from my friends who had awkward or problematic things come up when they were in leadership positions. What would you want to pass on to the next wave of student leaders??
Did you know that the key to an office with a couch is a great incentive for staff writers? Or that if you don't watch it, you can get elected to a position you didn't know you were nominated for? Or that it's really important to read your position description, especially when it includes being the official interpreter of the constitution? Or sometimes your most important role as leader is to keep your co-leader quiet during meetings? And sometimes it's to speak up for an organization you don't necessarily agree with? Sometimes the best way to co-manage a group involves seeing that co-manager more than your roommate. Sometimes it can be without seeing either one of your co-managers all week!
I'm not entirely sure how to convey this to students in a useful way. So instead I gave them scenarios from my friends who had awkward or problematic things come up when they were in leadership positions. What would you want to pass on to the next wave of student leaders??
Comments
Post a Comment