Sorry this entry was without an intro! Manda had to post it for me from an email and I couldn't edit it from my phone in the Dells this weekend. This post was written by a friend/coworker of mine. She's got a background in journalism and personally I think she'd make a fabulous blogger. I'm trying to convince her of this. This guest post is step one! :)
I am determined not to turn into one of those people on Facebook. You know, the people whose status updates all start with the name of their kid and/or are something about their amazing, fabulous, smartest, cutest, adorablest child the earth has ever known. Those people bug me. I have blocked those people.
At the moment I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with my first bundle of joy who will no doubt, turn out to be the most amazing, fabulous, smartest, cutest, adorablest child the universe has ever known. But this may shock you; I have not yet posted the “belly shot”. I know, how can I not show my pregnant belly to all those dying to see it?? How can I not post a new belly shot every week until delivery and then at the end combine them into a slide show to show the progression? I’m going to go with, I’m not crazy or looking for that much attention. And the fact that no one needs to see my pregnant self plastered on their status feed. I look pregnant, not really all that hard to imagine.
I do feel I should be completely honest about one thing. I did post the 20-week ultrasound pics. (sigh, groan, grumble) Partly because I could just send my mom the link as she is thankfully not on Facebook and secondly, I honestly have some friends who would not have believed me without proof. My sister called me out on it right away and I told her that was all I was going to post and she won’t have to block me.
We didn’t tell people until 21 weeks. Gasp, I know. I waited a long time especially since some people tell the world the day they pee on a stick. (Think of all the complaining time I missed out on!) A college friend who I had to block last summer during the last days of her unending pregnancy posted the wonderful news of her second child at precisely 6 weeks, 2 days, a week before I told people. Her first belly shot came at 8 weeks, 5 days. I wanted to tell her it’s not a baby bump, but baby fat from the child she had 6 months ago, but that would be mean. Her subsequent weekly belly shots have transformed into pictures of her holding fruit (babies are measured by fruit until they turn into an ear of corn around 24 weeks) in front of her belly to indicate how big the baby is that week. (Intense rolling of eyes causing headache follows each new pic.) We’re up to a peach!!
But I digress. For as much as I say I won’t do this or that after the baby makes its miraculous appearance, I have people telling me I will. So who knows, maybe I will turn into one of those people. But I have drafted an army of friends who swear to slap/make fun/unfriend/disown me should this happen. I am counting on them. So if it happens that every one of my status updates starts with the name of greatest child ever born, it’s their fault. I’ll have baby brain and be sleep deprived, so I can’t be held accountable.
--
I am determined not to turn into one of those people on Facebook. You know, the people whose status updates all start with the name of their kid and/or are something about their amazing, fabulous, smartest, cutest, adorablest child the earth has ever known. Those people bug me. I have blocked those people.
At the moment I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with my first bundle of joy who will no doubt, turn out to be the most amazing, fabulous, smartest, cutest, adorablest child the universe has ever known. But this may shock you; I have not yet posted the “belly shot”. I know, how can I not show my pregnant belly to all those dying to see it?? How can I not post a new belly shot every week until delivery and then at the end combine them into a slide show to show the progression? I’m going to go with, I’m not crazy or looking for that much attention. And the fact that no one needs to see my pregnant self plastered on their status feed. I look pregnant, not really all that hard to imagine.
I do feel I should be completely honest about one thing. I did post the 20-week ultrasound pics. (sigh, groan, grumble) Partly because I could just send my mom the link as she is thankfully not on Facebook and secondly, I honestly have some friends who would not have believed me without proof. My sister called me out on it right away and I told her that was all I was going to post and she won’t have to block me.
We didn’t tell people until 21 weeks. Gasp, I know. I waited a long time especially since some people tell the world the day they pee on a stick. (Think of all the complaining time I missed out on!) A college friend who I had to block last summer during the last days of her unending pregnancy posted the wonderful news of her second child at precisely 6 weeks, 2 days, a week before I told people. Her first belly shot came at 8 weeks, 5 days. I wanted to tell her it’s not a baby bump, but baby fat from the child she had 6 months ago, but that would be mean. Her subsequent weekly belly shots have transformed into pictures of her holding fruit (babies are measured by fruit until they turn into an ear of corn around 24 weeks) in front of her belly to indicate how big the baby is that week. (Intense rolling of eyes causing headache follows each new pic.) We’re up to a peach!!
But I digress. For as much as I say I won’t do this or that after the baby makes its miraculous appearance, I have people telling me I will. So who knows, maybe I will turn into one of those people. But I have drafted an army of friends who swear to slap/make fun/unfriend/disown me should this happen. I am counting on them. So if it happens that every one of my status updates starts with the name of greatest child ever born, it’s their fault. I’ll have baby brain and be sleep deprived, so I can’t be held accountable.
--
Name has been withheld so she can’t be tracked down and flogged in the town square for becoming one of those people
Comments
Post a Comment