The music helped. The girls fell into a rhythm of eating and singing, but you can only blast College Kid and Mood Rings so many times before it gets old.
"Kay. New cd? Or are we done with the music for a while? I'm good either way."
"How about we just chill on the loud guitar riffs for a while? I'm starting to get a bit of headache. Can you snag me another pop from the cooler?"
"Promise me you won't go driving crazy while I unbuckle to grab it and I will." Erin chuckled as she climbed into the back seat and dug a Diet Coke with Lime out for Kasey and a regular Mountain Dew for herself. Just one of the many things they disagreed on. But it was really only the little things that they didn't agree on. Like Diet or Regular Coke, or Brad Pitt or Matt Damon. They'd come across that little issue when they went out to the movies the first time. Thankfully Ocean's Eleven was around to solve that problem.
"Hey, I think it's time for a game."
"Ooh, you mean Moo Cow?"
"Kasey, am I ever going to convince you that Moo Cow is not a game? It's just a weird thing you did with your high school friends. Yelling out the window at cows is not a game. There is no winner or loser."
"Not even if you get extra points if they look at you?" Kasey grinned impishly at Erin. "Fine. I acquiesce for now. I'm guessing you were referring to Actor-Movie-Actor. I'll start. How bout Zac Efron in Hairspray?"
"First I must thank you for giving me Hairspray rather than High School Musical. At least I can name another actor in this one. Kay. James Marsden in X-Men."
"You're welcome. Hugh Jackman in Kate and Leopold."
"Shoot. I've seen part of that movie. That's the one with Meg Ryan right?"
"Seriously Erin, is there any movie you've seen all the way through? You and your twitchy remote hand. I'm staring to think the only full movies you see are the ones you see with me in the theatre."
"Guilty as charged. Ok. So Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, which gets you to Billy Crystal!" The girls could play this game for hours, and often did. Once they managed to convince the lunch table to play for the entire lunch period. The girls learned that their extensive knowledge of movies was not true of their friends, as most of the lunch Kasey and Erin spent helping their friends come up with movies.
"Can we stop? I want to get out and walk."
"Erin, you know we can't stop yet. We'll never get there if we stop now."
"Please?? I don't mean to be whiny, but seriously? I mean what does it matter if we stop now or later." Erin leaned over and glanced at the gas tank, it was close to a half-tank. "I'll make you a deal. We stop now, before we hit the state line and the gas gets more expensive, and I'll buy you breakfast at Perkins. You can even go get the gas while I get a table."
Slightly annoyed Kasey agreed to the plan and pulled off at the next exit, which conveniently had a Perkins, leading her to believe Erin had been planning this strategic outburst for a while. Kasey really hated when Erin played her like that. All the driving and small spaces were getting to her. By the time she'd dropped Erin off at the restaurant she was in a piss-poor mood, and the issues at the gas station did not help. First she was stuck waiting for a pump and then once she got there, she found that all the windshield cleaners were missing the brush. Fifteen minutes later, she finally made her way through the crowd of third-graders on a field trip to their table, where Erin was sitting there smiling. Kasey sat down and immediately noticed something was missing. "Where's my menu?"
"You don't need it. I ordered. Country Club omelet for me, and Eggs Benedict for you. I also ordered a side order of french toast. Oh, and regular coffee. And lots of it."
And that was when Kasey remembered why she started out on this trip in the first place, to go on her first major road trip with her best friend. The only person who could order the perfect breakfast for her on a crazy morning like this.
Comments
Post a Comment