Kasey and Erin had been in the car for 2 days already. The driving schedule and spatial issues had been ironed out in the first few hours. Kasey was the driver and Erin the navigator. A moment of overnighter induced sleepiness had made that apparent. Kasey put her foot down after that episode. "You know I could drive, if you want me to."
"You're not too sleepy?"
"Oh my God, you're never going to let me live that down, are you? It was once. I pulled an all-nighter. I've slept since then."
"I know. I was just kidding." Kasey was only sort of kidding. She still remembered being jerked awake as the car swerved back into the right lane. She knew she shouldn't keep pushing her friend like that. This was exactly why they had never roadtripped in the past. They were great friends, but in a small enclosed space like this, they got a little claustrophobic. "Okay, truce? How about we grab some food? I'm starving. And we cannot live on Starburst and Pringles alone!"
"Ha. You're just jealous the ratio of yellow and orange in that last pack. I would be up for real food. Drive-thru?"
After some discussion they settled on Burger King and ended up with two orders of chicken fries and three large fries. "Can I have some more fries?" Kasey asked from driver's seat.
"Chicken or potato?
How bout some of both? These chicken fries nourish the soul."
"So true. So wait, what highway were you looking for?"
"18. Why?"
"Because we just passed it."
"Shit. Why didn't you say something? Crap. Where is the next exit?"
"Um. You kept telling me you knew where it was. And so I didn't really pay attention. Don't yell at me."
"I'm not yelling. I'm just frustrated. Sorry. Argh!"
"There's an exit. We'll just turn around. It's ok. We'll throw some tunes on. How bout Relient K? We'll rock out."
To be continued...
*I love road trips. This story is inspired by a road trip or two of my own, and car shenanigans I pulled w/ my friends in college.
Comments
Post a Comment