The world equates wealth with worth
and measures it in numbers:
possessions, points, and dollars.
We do the same with people.
No longer our friends, they become
connections, followers, or subscribers.
But that's where our wealth really lies.
It rests with friends we have;
not in how many, but what kind.
But how do we measure them?
The ones that comfort you,
when it's their birthday you've ruined.
Or the ones your parents invite over
for extended family holidays,
and even when you're not there.
The ones who roadtrip across Iowa,
for six hours one way,
just to see you for eighteen.
This wealth goes beyond counting.
Past numbers and money,
and resides in our hearts.
**I'm sure this isn't the final version of this piece, but this is the draft I've got so far. What do you think? I need some help and input! Thanks!!
and measures it in numbers:
possessions, points, and dollars.
We do the same with people.
No longer our friends, they become
connections, followers, or subscribers.
But that's where our wealth really lies.
It rests with friends we have;
not in how many, but what kind.
But how do we measure them?
The ones that comfort you,
when it's their birthday you've ruined.
Or the ones your parents invite over
for extended family holidays,
and even when you're not there.
The ones who roadtrip across Iowa,
for six hours one way,
just to see you for eighteen.
This wealth goes beyond counting.
Past numbers and money,
and resides in our hearts.
**I'm sure this isn't the final version of this piece, but this is the draft I've got so far. What do you think? I need some help and input! Thanks!!
Comments
Post a Comment