I stole this from Nicola who stole it from Book Travellers Inc..
Bookmark or bent page ?
Have you ever been offered a book ?
Do you read in your bath ?
Have you already thought about writing a book ?
What do you think about books in several volumes ?
Do you have a cult book ?
Do you like to re-read ?
What about meeting or not with the authors of the books you've liked ?
Do you like to talk about the books you read ?
How do you pick your books ?
Something you read, hard to confess ?
Best places to read ?
The ideal book would be...
Read over people's shoulders ?
TV, computer games or book ?
Read and eat ?
E-books ?
Borrow or buy ?
What book are you reading now – which one is coming next ?
Have you already dropped a book ?
What's the first book you just fell in love with ?
What about you? Feel free to steal this and put it in your BEDA, I want to see your responses! Or feel free to post it in the comments.
Bookmark or bent page ?
- In textbook, bent page. In my own books, bookmark all the way. I used to collect bookmarks as a kid, and to this day I have a hard time not buying them. But I never seem to have them around when I need them, so I tend to use whatever is handy. Receipts, movie tickets, cards, cds, whatever.
Have you ever been offered a book ?
- Um. Yes. I'm a librarian, and lived with another library student for 2 years. It's how we roll. Although I guess that's more suggestions than actually giving me the book. That's mostly my parents. I have "temporarily owned" a lot of their books.
Do you read in your bath ?
- I agree with Nicola who I will now quote verbatim "I take a bath maybe once a year, and also no."
Have you already thought about writing a book ?
- For fiction, I did at one point. The greater desire has always been to edit fiction. My friend wrote a novel-length story in high school that I edited for her. She's picked that back up again after 7 years, and I would love to work with her again on it. As for non-fiction, I've done some editing, and will be lead author on a book chapter to be published this fall (knock on wood). During this process, I've come to realize, I'm a much better editor than writer, but I wouldn't mind taking another stab at it. As soon as I recover from this go round.
What do you think about books in several volumes ?
- I'm assuming by this, you mean books in a series, not in volumes. Who reads books in volumes? Do they do that outside of non-fiction much? I choose to answer the question, what do I think of series. I like series. I'm a selfish reader, I like characters and want to spend as much time with them as possible. I read Sue Grafton's alphabet series, I read all of Harry Potter, all of the Maximum Ride series. Becky + a series = fun times
Do you have a cult book ?
- Um...not sure I really get the question. So, no.
Do you like to re-read ?
- Absolutely. I've re-read An Abundance of Katherines twice, and listened to it on audiobook like 3 times (at least). I don't tend to re-read series all that often. I think it's that character thing again. I like to re-read the stand alone books so that I can re-visit a character or a setting I really liked.
What about meeting or not with the authors of the books you've liked ?
- To be honest, before I started watching John Green's videos, I really failed to imagine authors as people. I mean, I loved the Harry Potter books, but have no desire to meet J.K. at all. After watching Brotherhood 2.0 videos for a year, I really wanted to meet John and Hank. And boy did they not disappoint. I knew 2 people who were in charge of one of the events on their tour so we ended up getting to hang out with them back stage. It was absolutely surreal and totally comfortable at the same time. After the signing, we walked them (and Katherine) to Subway to say hi to a nerdfighter working there. The walk down and back was fun, and a great way to have a chance to see them as people, not "internet celebrities." If meeting all authors was like that, I'd be for it. But other than Maureen, I'm not sure I'd be up for meeting anyone.
Do you like to talk about the books you read ?
- Absolutely. In fact tonight, I'm hanging out on the ning to talk with a BEDA buddy about Graceling!
How do you pick your books ?
- For the past 2 years, almost exclusively off of recommendations from Amy, Emily, and John Green. They haven't steered me wrong yet. (Ok except for Catcher in the Rye, which I still can't get through.) Every once in a while I pick up a book off the new YA shelf at work, but those usually end up being something Amy talked about but I forgot ;)
Something you read, hard to confess ?
- Probably Twilight. But mostly because I really liked them. I mean, this is coming from a girl who freely admits to liking High School Musical, so how embarrassing can a book be?
Best places to read ?
- In bed, curled up on my couch, under a tree at Cornell, on the Union Terrace on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee in Madison.
The ideal book would be...
- unimaginable. Or I would have written it by now if I knew.
Read over people's shoulders ?
- When I was on the bus in Madison, I did it all the time.
TV, computer games or book ?
- They aren't mutually exclusive for me. I don't like the complete quiet usually, so it's not uncommon for me to have the tv on while I read. But if it's a situational thing, I watch tv when I want to be brain dead, and read a book when I want to engage my brain.
Read and eat ?
- ...is how I spend my lunch hours usually.
Read with music, in silence, whatever...
- When I'm reading somewhere other than my bed, I tend to need noise of some kind. In bed though, silence is ok.
E-books ?
- I spend too much time looking at a screen as it is.
Borrow or buy ?
- As a librarian, my first answer is borrow!! But the impatient side of me wins out a bit, and I end up buying some things that I can't wait for. I also buy books I know I'm going to love...John Green, Maureen Johnson. I'm also a huge used book buyer. Rummage sales are my weakness, but that's also how I get rid of a lot of mine once I'm done with them. My newest thing is to buy a YA book I can't wait for, and then donate it to the library when I'm done with it, knowing the budget doesn't exist to buy them.
What book are you reading now – which one is coming next ?
- I'm reading Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've also got 3 other books for a children's lit class I'm helping with started. Next on the list is something else for Carolynne's class.
Have you already dropped a book ?
- All the time. I'm one of those people that if you don't hook me with the story right away I abandon you mid-stream. Especially problematic considering my habit of having 3 books started at any one time. I've never finished Catcher in the Rye. Most of the bookshelf in my bedroom are books I started and never finished. I probably will eventually, but I have to be in the mood.
What's the first book you just fell in love with ?
- As a kid: Beverly Cleary's Emily's Runaway Imagination, As a YA: Phillip Pullman's The Golden Compass, As an adult: John Green's An Abundance of Katherines
What about you? Feel free to steal this and put it in your BEDA, I want to see your responses! Or feel free to post it in the comments.
"On the Union Terrace on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee in Madison" = wonderful place to read
ReplyDeleteAlso, the question Have you ever dropped a book? I wanted you to take a bit more literally. Like, yes, I tried to carry too many books upstairs and dropped one. :)
Bookmark or bent page ?
ReplyDeleteBookmarks or more often, post-its. I'm a big flagger when it comes to professional reading. :)
Have you ever been offered a book ?
Yup. I've even had nice old men offer me the New Testament on "Gideon Day." You know the day, when you can find one on every corner. Lovely.
Do you read in your bath ?
No. Why do you want to know anyway?
Have you already thought about writing a book ?
Other than the ones I had to write in school (with titles like Summer in the Supermarket) I think the world is better off with me just reading, not writing.
What do you think about books in several volumes ?
Volumes = Insta-boring to me. Reminds me of the hours I spent in the stacks of various libraries working for ILL (interlibrary loan) in grad school.
Do you have a cult book ?
I'm trying to think of a cult book title to know if I own it or not.
According to this list: http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/WCQ%252f.aspx I own 3 cult books.
Do you like to re-read ?
Yes. Most of the books I have from childhood have broken spines and visible wear from holding the book in the same place while reading it over and over.
What about meeting or not with the authors of the books you've liked ?
I'm not fanatical about it, but I think its fun.
Do you like to talk about the books you read ?
I basically get paid to do this, so its a good thing I enjoy it. I'm not the greatest at it, but I enjoy it.
How do you pick your books ?
Recommendations from friends and colleagues, Books that sound good in reviews, Books from bloggers I read, Books I like the covers of.
Something you read, hard to confess ?
I've been on a romance (especially Regency period, UK) kick lately. That's hard for me to admit. I know its silly.
Best places to read ?
In bed. But I'll read just about anywhere.
The ideal book would be...
readable?
Read over people's shoulders ?
Yup.
TV, computer games or book ?
Depends on my mood.
Read and eat ?
Yes.
Read with music, in silence, whatever...
Prefer silence, but I can read in public places too.
E-books ?
Aren't really my thing. And I'm not sure that I'm convinced they're the future (though I'm sure someday I'll eat those words).
Borrow or buy ?
Borrow all the way. I still have a hard time purchasing a book, even when I know I can. I buy books that I imagine reading over and over and over.
What book are you reading now – which one is coming next ?
I have four books on my nightstand.
Have you already dropped a book ?
Dropped how? On the ground, I have lots. In a puddle? I can't think of a time. Not finished it? Yup.
What's the first book you just fell in love with ?
The Betsy-Tacy books and the Little House books are some I remember reading over and over.
Very interesting. I'm going to steal it too and use it for a post this weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh and after I talked to you and Christina about Graceling, which was already on my list anyway, I was at the used bookstore and they had a pristine copy there. So now I own it and am ready to read!
Last question: I feel exactly the same way. I never used to read much because I was waiting to be in the mood, but now I give it half an hour or whatever and usually start to get into it. One of my mum's book group friends gives it until page 72 or something arbitrary like that, and if she doesn't like it by then she stops.
ReplyDeleteYour reading locations sound awesoooome!
I don't think there's any shame in being a better editor. I think it's a good way to become a better writer in the long run because you learn what works, what doesn't, and gain a really good grasp of grammar. At least, that's what I keep telling myself! ;)
I know a couple of you (I think it's Christina and Autumn, or is it you and Autumn?) have collab blogs with friends for book reviews but we should set something like that up because I trust your judgments and on blogs you can't always work out the writer's taste.