BEDA Intro Questions
Name: Becky Jean (also Beckie Jean to you twitter followers)
Age: 25
Where I live: Dubuque, IA
Where I call "home": my impulse response is Dubuque (which is a total surprise...I'm tellin' you), but also Janesville and Madison, WI. Oh and anywhere else my friends are.
Why I blog: I always journaled a lot as a kid. I had a blog (on Open Diary) when it was still a geeky thing to do, but the current incarnation is Amy's fault. After grad school, she wanted a place to stalk me online. So exactly 2 years ago next Tuesday, I started here. Mostly it's a personal blog, but occasionally I get a little library/work-centric.
What part of BEDA I'm most excited about: Having 14 other blogs to read everyday. (Some of you I really missing reading your stuff. You know who you are!) And getting to know everyone better.
Why I'm doing BEDA [again]: Partly for the writing, but mostly for the community that grew up around it. Oh, and I love having blogs (both personal and professional-like) to read. And I need a constant this month. April is going to be a hectic month, and ironically blogging everyday is going to be the calming element. (Have I mentioned I'm crazy?)
How I first discovered Maureen Johnson/BEDA: I discovered Maureen as John and Hank's secret sister on the vlogbrothers YouTube channel. After that I found her blog at some point and realized she's just as crazy there as she seemed to be in the videos. Somewhere in that process I read all her books!
Something other BEDA people might not know about me: This was tough since I know so many of you. A few of my serious former career options include historical reenactor at Colonial Williamsburg, Nashville backup singer, a book (fiction) editor, history magazine editor. And as a sidenote, at the age of 5, I was apparently convinced I wanted to be a lollypop maker. :)
Another blog I follow: A List of Things Thrown Five Minutes Ago
A writer (of any kind) who inspires me: Jasper Fforde. I appreciate his risk of so fully submerging his readers in a world and expecting those readers to be intelligent enough to handle it. I also really love his willingness to control all aspects of his creative word, down to handcoding his websites.
A YouTube channel I love: KickthePJ
I've embedded one of his below. He does some really cool things combining video and animation.
A favorite quote: Inspirational quote -- "There is always room at the top." -Daniel Webster
Sentimental quote -- "Cuatro pájaros sin rumbo en el alto chopo están" -Federico GarcÃa Lorca (I promise to explain that one later!)
I must hear more about this Civil War reenacting!
ReplyDeleteLovely. I completely agree about Jasper Fforde BTW. I'm going to do the August BEDA but I'll follow along with ya'll.
ReplyDeleteYou're comment about having blogs reminds me about the long list of online blogs I've had and since neglected. Off the top of my head in attempted order: Diaryland, Xanga, Livejournal, Deadjournal, Blogspot, and blogger. Does myspace count on that list as well :-p
ReplyDeleteI think Lollipop maker would be a pretty sweet job.
Blogging can be very calming :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I meant to tell you about Lorenzo's name change. It just wasn't working anymore considering I no longer live in the sweltering land of the living dead.
ReplyDeleteI can totally see you churning butter or something in Williamsburg. I think it's something you should aspire to at some point in the future.
Wait...are any of those jobs things you actually did, or just things at one point in your life you wanted to grow up to be? Either way wow!
ReplyDelete