It's hard to imagine that 2 years ago (on Saturday) I had my phone interview for my job here at Dubuque. What an emotional rush that day was. It was my first call back from anywhere. I had watched both Amy and Emily get jobs already, and I was languishing in the "what the hell do I do if I don't get a job" pool. I tried to stay upbeat, but I was really struggling as I watched my "I will be homeless and jobless" date grow nearer. And then I got the call (the day before I was scheduled to drive to the WI academic library conference). I was so excited about the call. I blogged: "I'm totally on cloud nine about the job interview. It feels so good to finally get a callback and feel loved again. As much as I love my friends for telling me that this would come, it was getting really hard to keep believing in myself." (4/20/08) And I did the phone interview and it didn't go as badly as I thought. And they asked me for an on-campus visit (on my birthday!). And the rest is history.
Tomorrow I'm scheduled to give a presentation at the Iowa academic library conference, almost 2 years to the day that I first interviewed for this job. I walked away from that conference thinking "I came away with some great ideas and a much stronger confidence about my own presentation skills. Kinda mean, but true." (4/20/08) I'm not quite so cocky now about my presentation skills, but I know that I'll do fine. Besides, even if I don't do well, maybe I'll be the inspiration for another struggling library student just looking for her break!
I may be incommunicado tonight and all day tomorrow, and that's why. I'll be living it up (ok, enjoying the company of other librarians) at the ILA-ACRL conference til Friday afternoon. I'll give you the run down tomorrow night.
Tomorrow I'm scheduled to give a presentation at the Iowa academic library conference, almost 2 years to the day that I first interviewed for this job. I walked away from that conference thinking "I came away with some great ideas and a much stronger confidence about my own presentation skills. Kinda mean, but true." (4/20/08) I'm not quite so cocky now about my presentation skills, but I know that I'll do fine. Besides, even if I don't do well, maybe I'll be the inspiration for another struggling library student just looking for her break!
I may be incommunicado tonight and all day tomorrow, and that's why. I'll be living it up (ok, enjoying the company of other librarians) at the ILA-ACRL conference til Friday afternoon. I'll give you the run down tomorrow night.
Good luck!
ReplyDelete