I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to blog tonight as I don't really have a daily routine per say, when I see the title of my blog. And I realize here I am sitting in my living room in jeans and my favorite old navy flip flops. I've never really explained my title. I mean on the surface it's pretty simple. And if you know me, you know that I am the queen of shoes. I've paired down on my collection a lot, but I've still got 5 pairs of flip flops.
It's not just that I love wearing denim and flip flops. It's what I'm most comfortable in. I will wear flip flops until there is snow on the ground, and as soon as it melts I'm back in them. I think it's also partly what they represent. Jeans and flip flops are comfort, and home, and everything that is not work. The summer dress code states no denim (of any kind) or flips flops are allowed. It's sort of fitting that what you are most likely to find me wearing at any moment I am not at work is one of the few things they don't allow at work. It mirrors this blog a lot. I've never really wanted this blog to be a "library blog." Same with my twitter account. They can be great tools for librarians and I follow a bunch for that reason, but I never really set out for mine to be that way. I sort of feel bad at how many people that follow me on twitter have me in some sort of Librarian-related list. I mean I am a librarian, but that's not all I am, and if they expect to actually get a link to a library article or a 140-character insight into the profession, they're going to be disappointed. They're mostly going to get that denim and flip flop side of me instead.
Now I titled this blog long before I got to this job and a version of it (Denim and Lace) has actually been the title of my online journal/blog since I was in high school. There you see the juxtaposition in the title itself. I liked to think that I was a little bit casual and laid back and a little bit frilly. I think those two-sides still sort of exist, but have morphed into my professional and personal lives. The Becky you'll find here is more likely to be dressed in a t-shirt and sandals than dress pants and flats. Maybe someday my work persona will find it's way online, but for now I think I'll leave the skirt and heels at the office.
It's not just that I love wearing denim and flip flops. It's what I'm most comfortable in. I will wear flip flops until there is snow on the ground, and as soon as it melts I'm back in them. I think it's also partly what they represent. Jeans and flip flops are comfort, and home, and everything that is not work. The summer dress code states no denim (of any kind) or flips flops are allowed. It's sort of fitting that what you are most likely to find me wearing at any moment I am not at work is one of the few things they don't allow at work. It mirrors this blog a lot. I've never really wanted this blog to be a "library blog." Same with my twitter account. They can be great tools for librarians and I follow a bunch for that reason, but I never really set out for mine to be that way. I sort of feel bad at how many people that follow me on twitter have me in some sort of Librarian-related list. I mean I am a librarian, but that's not all I am, and if they expect to actually get a link to a library article or a 140-character insight into the profession, they're going to be disappointed. They're mostly going to get that denim and flip flop side of me instead.
Now I titled this blog long before I got to this job and a version of it (Denim and Lace) has actually been the title of my online journal/blog since I was in high school. There you see the juxtaposition in the title itself. I liked to think that I was a little bit casual and laid back and a little bit frilly. I think those two-sides still sort of exist, but have morphed into my professional and personal lives. The Becky you'll find here is more likely to be dressed in a t-shirt and sandals than dress pants and flats. Maybe someday my work persona will find it's way online, but for now I think I'll leave the skirt and heels at the office.
Now that I think about it, I can't actually picture any of your shoes...except for your flip-flops.
ReplyDelete