Yep, it's mashup day. Originally I really was going to stick to the theme today. But then today happened, and the reality of this week caught up with me. So you're going to get both today ladies and gentlemen (and everyone else here not sitting on a cushion).
Let's begin. So the librarians here teach a lot (about 500 a year) of information literacy sessions. For those non-librarians out there, that's when we go in and talk about finding resources, how to use them, and how to tell if they're good. Now 500 a year doesn't sound like that many until you realize that we've only got 5 librarians here. And one of those librarians is the director who does teach classes, but certainly doesn't teach 100 a year. Normally this is not a problem. My supervisor and I are getting quite good at juggling librarians and classes and rooms to make sure no one requires cloning on a regular basis. Some weeks it gets a little tight. Certain classes overlap in their research units. Those weeks are what we like to call, all hands on deck week. This week was one of those weeks. Our M-W-F schedule this week was a 7-9-10. That means today we taught 9 classes. Now the 4 of us who teach on a regular basis and split them pretty evenly and had worked out the necessary switches so the reference desk was covered as well. No big deal. That is until one of us got sick. One of us has been out since Monday. So the other 3 of us have had to cover those classes as well as the desk hours. It's been a lot bit hectic and the desk has been empty more often then we'd like. Sometimes I forget how delicately balanced we are on that ledge. Or as my coworker and I were just discussing. We're like that story about the little kid with their finger in the dam. "We've just run out of fingers!" Thankfully for the most part, we're pretty interchangeable in classes. We got everything covered and just have Friday left to deal with. The same person will be gone that day presenting at a conference. So we've got 10 classes (some only 15 mins intros) to cover with 3 of us. Needless to say, I'm going to be tired by the end of the week. But it really is worth it to see the students really understanding what they need for classes. I never question if this is the right job for me, but sometimes I wonder if we're all a little bit crazy here. Maybe that's why it all works.
Ok, on to celebrity crushes. Like Christina I tend to have a lot. I think I'll keep this to recent ones or ones you may not know about.
Let's begin. So the librarians here teach a lot (about 500 a year) of information literacy sessions. For those non-librarians out there, that's when we go in and talk about finding resources, how to use them, and how to tell if they're good. Now 500 a year doesn't sound like that many until you realize that we've only got 5 librarians here. And one of those librarians is the director who does teach classes, but certainly doesn't teach 100 a year. Normally this is not a problem. My supervisor and I are getting quite good at juggling librarians and classes and rooms to make sure no one requires cloning on a regular basis. Some weeks it gets a little tight. Certain classes overlap in their research units. Those weeks are what we like to call, all hands on deck week. This week was one of those weeks. Our M-W-F schedule this week was a 7-9-10. That means today we taught 9 classes. Now the 4 of us who teach on a regular basis and split them pretty evenly and had worked out the necessary switches so the reference desk was covered as well. No big deal. That is until one of us got sick. One of us has been out since Monday. So the other 3 of us have had to cover those classes as well as the desk hours. It's been a lot bit hectic and the desk has been empty more often then we'd like. Sometimes I forget how delicately balanced we are on that ledge. Or as my coworker and I were just discussing. We're like that story about the little kid with their finger in the dam. "We've just run out of fingers!" Thankfully for the most part, we're pretty interchangeable in classes. We got everything covered and just have Friday left to deal with. The same person will be gone that day presenting at a conference. So we've got 10 classes (some only 15 mins intros) to cover with 3 of us. Needless to say, I'm going to be tired by the end of the week. But it really is worth it to see the students really understanding what they need for classes. I never question if this is the right job for me, but sometimes I wonder if we're all a little bit crazy here. Maybe that's why it all works.
Ok, on to celebrity crushes. Like Christina I tend to have a lot. I think I'll keep this to recent ones or ones you may not know about.
- Matt Smith- After being such a David Tennant fan, I was convinced I would/should hate Matt Smith. However, after that first episode, I agree with Christina. Adorable, lovable, and still quite snarky.
- David Tennant- I know, I know. Two actors who've played the same character? Yes. I love them both. So sue me.
- Navi Rawat-Ever since she was on The OC I've loved this actress. So pretty and she was so great playing Charlie's love interest/intelligent professor on Numb3rs.
- Kristen Bell-How can you not love her? Ok, and you all know this one, but I can't not put her on the list.
- Josh Groban-After watching all his behind the concert footage and following him on Twitter, I'm convinced we would be best friends IRL. So freaking funny.
- J. J. Hardy-J.J. getting traded to the Twins is a major reason I'm now following them. Beyond the amazing blue eyes, he seems pretty down to earth and isn't all about the glory (i.e. Ryan Braun).
I didn't think to put Kristen Bell down! I feel she has been so under utilized since Veronica Mars. It's such a shame!
ReplyDeleteAlso, was Navi Rawat on Castle Monday night?
Kristin Bell is on Craig Ferguson pretty much every other week, it's crazy.
ReplyDeleteYour job always sounds so busy but exciting. It always makes me smile because despite all the challenges it always seems like you're enjoying your work anyway.