Ok I realize that I post/talk about sports more than I probably should but I really can't pass up the chance to stick with the theme, today of all days (It's both opening day for baseball as mentioned by Christina and the NCAA Men's basketball championship as Katie said.) So for a spin I'll tell my story through a series of pictures instead.
Let the adventure begin!
My love of sports come from my parents. Before Manda and I were born, they used to drive the hour and a half drive to Milwaukee to watch the Brewers games. They watch basketball, baseball, football, and golf. Plus with the exception of football, my mom or dad play(ed) those too.

Growing up, my dad had a pair of season tickets to the Badger football games. I loved going to those games all the way through high school. (Dad gave up the tickets when the licensing made them expensive the year went to college.) I was lucky enough to get a pair of tickets to the Halloween game when I was in grad school and I got to share my love of fall football games with Amy.
Speaking of sharing my love of sports, I turn to Gretchen. Gretchen and I bonded over D-3 college basketball. We originally went to a game to avoid being dragged to a party as undergrads, we stuck with it because I loved basketball, and Gretchen was having fun learning. I taught her the refs signals, and we ended up nicknaming all the players. This pic is of Gretchen and I at a Badger basketball game when I was in grad school.

Now despite the earlier Brewer connection, I didn't grow up watching baseball. That came later. Gretchen was a Twins fan, and I picked up a bit of that in college. Any time we got a Twins game in Iowa, we'd watch it. But the real baseball love came thanks to Kelly. Kelly is what Christina called a cradle-Brewers fan. Growing up just outside of Milwaukee proper Kelly is a consumate Brewers fan. And after hanging out with her for a good 7 months (only about half of which was baseball season), I just had to start paying attention to the Brewers just to talk with her. Within a few games, I was hooked. This is us at a game Labor Day weekend a few years ago.

My high school BFF and UW-M grad Anna was totally happy to feed my new obsession. In the past few years, she and I have gone to 2 games together. The first time we tailgated as is required of Brewers fans. Baseball games are so much better with alcohol in your system :) Besides, we certainly kept the people around us entertained.

Speaking of entertaining. Nothing is more entertaining than going to a game with an entire section of college students. Manda and I had fun at that game despite my having a beer spilled into my purse. Oh the things I will do for my sports addiction.
I've been lucky enough to have been part of quite a few memorable sports moments. As a student at UW, I saw UW beat Ohio St (pictured) while both were ranked in the top 5 in the polls, and later that season I got to rush the court as we clinched the Big Ten regular season title.
I was lucky enough to be able to go to a game with my dad and sit just 7 rows behind the dugout on the 3rd base side. It wasn't a big game. We didn't even win. But having the chance to be there in such amazing seats with my dad made it one of my best sporting memories.
An other favorite memory? Watching UW wallop Michigan State in Madison with my sister this past February. Here's a video of us singing 'When You Say Wisconsin' at that game.
I do love those pictures of us still.
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad there's not a pic of us at a UW sporting event. It's definitely part of the basis of our friendship :)
ReplyDeleteOne of the things I miss the most about college was the close proximity to minor league baseball AND hockey. I don't really like watching them on TV, but live games are SO MUCH FUN. Now we have to drive to Peoria...
ReplyDelete